Digital technologies in cultural heritage conservation


Continue with my last post, today I will give a more detailed explanation about what kind of digital technologies have been applied archaeology field.

Acquisition and perception of cultural heritage information is the fundamental task for archaeologists. Technologies such as digital photography, 3D scanning, 3S (GIS, RS, and GPS), environment perception and wireless transmission, are widely used in this work.

1. Digital archive related technology

Cultural heritage archive related to text records, pictures, images and videos, etc., sometimes we need to scan and convert the archive traditional paper files into the form of digital files, and combine with "Internet +" technology to achieve cloud storage and query. These digital archives play an increasingly important role in the research and display of cultural heritage.

Ancient lighthouse in Tongzhou, China, photoed by Felice Beato (1860)

2. Digital photography related technology

The popularization of digital photography technology is mainly used for archiving heritage information in the field of cultural heritage, especially massive cloud storage technology, panoramic technology, blockchain technology, etc., which can make the storage, update and access of heritage information more secure and convenient. The advantages of digital photography such as functionality, convenience, editability, and easy dissemination, can quickly and efficiently record information about cultural heritages and achieve permanent archiving and protection of cultural heritages. Digital photography is the basic technology of digital platform for movable cultural relics, immovable cultural relics management and archive management.

For example, software such as Photoscan and TrimbleInpho® can accurately convert raw aerial images and satellite images into coherent and accurate point and surface models,and three-dimensional data.

Using low-altitude aerial photography to generate the elevation of the Beizhuang heritage site (Photo generated by WMWB Technology &Culture ltd.co, Peking University)

3. 3D scanning technology

In the 1980s, Cyberware developed the world's first 3D scanner. 3D scanning not only records the surface information of heritage artifacts in detail, but also further refines tasks such as denoising, triangulation and  texture mapping to record the details of the heritage. The collection of three-dimensional information of cultural relics is usually implemented using a 3D scanning device. At present, 3D scanning technology has been applied to the collection of digital information of cultural relics in various forms, and even measurement can be performed using a robot arm (contact measurement) or applying optical principles (non-contact measurement). Because direct contact with relics may damage the artifact's surface, it is rarely used for the precious heritage surface acquisition, mainly using non-contact 3D scanning technology.


There is an example I would like to share in my blog.

"Researchers at Columbia University, USA have used total stations, 3D laser scanners and digital cameras in archaeological excavations. They reconstructed a precise 3D model of an archaeological site using scanned 3D models and digital images, then constructed an enhanced model by fusing video, panoramic, and GIS data, and finally achieved multi-model expression and interaction with augmented reality (Allen et al., 2004). The workflow is shown below."

The site digitization workflow used by Columbia University


Up to now, I think I have covered most of aspects of digital heritage, from explaining the definition, introducing principles or guidelines from UNESCO, providing examples of these digital technologies and so on. For my next blog, I will go back to my main theme to talk about how digital technologies play the role in virtual museum and other virtual displays.


Reference:
Allen P, Feiner S, Troccoli A, et al. (2004) Seeing into the past: creating a 3D modeling pipeline for archaeological visualization. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on 3D Data Processing, Visualization and Transmission, Thessaloniki, Greece 751-758
Lu, D., Pan, Y. (2011). Digital Preservation for Heritages: Technologies and Applications. Germany: Zhejiang University Press.
Liu,Y. Five questions to understand the digital heritage, Wechat online platform- WMWB, China, Beijing

Comments

  1. Yang,

    I had forgot how visually stunning the images in your blog are.

    My family and I love visiting cultural, history, and art significant sites but do not have time to travel as much as we used to. Now we use websites and available high resolutions images to somewhat keep our adventures alive. Our latest obsession is the beauty of Labrador. Pretty sure it will never result in a family vacation, but hearing my little girl mention it to her friends makes me smile.

    Thank you for a great blog series.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      That is so lovely!! For sure, these advanced photography technology and cloud storage offer us a alternative way to encounter those beauties online. I can see our younger generation have been also benefited from the digital artifacts. As a parent, I also think the real life experience is more important than the virtual world experience, that is why I restrict my little son's TV time, and would like to find more hands-on activities or nature adventuress for him. What a pity! The winter in Syracuse is tough for little kids doing any outdoor activities. My best wishes to your family and your little girl!

      Happy Holiday~
      Yang Liu

      Delete
  2. Yang,

    I enjoyed your post. I think that a Digital Catalog of information is crucial for our children and generations beyond.
    Let me ask you this question?
    When the photo's are sent to the cloud, who is actually keeping storage of the photos?

    I ask this question because, in my home, I had a computer fall down the stairs and lost ALL of my historical photos of my family. This is why I brought up the question you read above.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Tony Ruiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      Sorry for the late reply! That's a very good question! In my basic understanding, there are different types of cloud storage platform, such as Dropbox, One Drive. Google drive... you can treat these platforms as many huge hard disks that open for their users. The users can upload their images, files to the hard disk with privacy control. That brings another issue for information security.
      I am sorry to hear the computer incident, I would suggest to check the hard disk on your computer, there might be solution that you can get the photos back. But I am not sure how much it will cost, probably expensive.

      Yang Liu

      Delete
  3. Yang,

    You have a very interesting and exciting blog- my family loves history, especially cultural sites all around the world. I thinks it's absolutely fascinating you are able to enlighten us, but more importantly- our younger generation on the technology that is behind the scenes in creating a digital musuem and the end product it can develop. I will continue to view your blog to find more interesting sites. Thanks for your posting!
    ~Nick A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick,

      Thank you for the comment! I am so glad that you and your family love history and historical sites, I would encourage you come to visit China, over five thousands years history are waiting for discovering. I really appreciate these digital technology that can be applied in the heritage conservation. Indeed, our younger generation can do a better job than us!

      Yang Liu

      Delete
  4. Yang,

    Great post! I especially like the simple yet detailed graphic explanation of the process of site digitizing you shared from Columbia University. The preservation of historical sites is not only important now, but for humanity for years to come. I appreciate that you continue to share the importance of safeguarding cultural heritage and the means in which to do so.
    --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,

      Thank you for the comment! I agree with you that preservation of our cultural heritage is a long term run. We are still facing many challenges and urgent tasks that requires everyone 's effort.

      Yang Liu

      Delete
  5. Yang,

    Excellent post, I always enjoy coming into your blog and learning. The way you capture the information while also applying rich pictures to compliment your text really drives home your ability to create and maintain a blog. Your summary of digital heritage built upon by previous blog posts really painted the entire picture I believe you were trying to capture and share with your audience.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,

      Thank you so much for the comment. Yes, I have been tried to cover this topic as clear and comprehensive as I can. For many audience, they may know the idea of virtual museum, or they may have experience of it. However, the basic context of digital technology and virtual museum may sound unfamiliar for them. That is initial plan to run this blog. I am glad that you totally get my point! Thanks !

      Yang Liu

      Delete

Post a Comment