BEST EXPERIENCE EVER! Virtual Exploration of Mogao Grottoes


Most Chinese People would know how difficult to step into the Mogao Caves and see the Mogao Grottoes in their entire life, as the harsh environment and the condition of the Grottoes made the physical visit even impossible! In the high season (April, 01- November 30) The ticket -Type A just  limited sale in 6000 tickers. For me, living in the US, who has planned my trip to Dunhuang Mogao Cave at least half year in advance to reserve the ticket online. 
Here I quoted a visitor's comment on TripAdvisor. It is SO True just like what he/she said!


 I did some research before heading to the Gansu province where the Mogao Cave located. I found the digital Dunhuang is one of the most valuable virtual museum you must see! 



On the E-duanhuang website, you can virtually explore the 30 most precious caves on your computer without travelling thousand miles away to Dunhuang City. On the virtual museum, you can read the information of each cave with the description. You can also get access to the cave with the VR panorama. To be hones, the experience of using this digital Dunhuang website to see the whole and details of the grottoes is MUCH better than actual physical visit in Dunhuang. As I went there in July which is the hottest summer with over 100 Fahrenheit Degree in the daytime, and standing on the outside nearly 2 hours waiting in the line and each cave was full of people and you can't really see the grottoes in the dark cave with a slight lighting.

Once you click the button on the right side of MINUS, you will get into the full-screen web VR model which is really amazing! For real WebVR with headset tracking, either use a WebVR -API-capable desktop browser or mobile device and a VR headset. 

At last, I would like to highlight the strengths of applying the VR in cultural heritage conservation. First, applying the panoramic aerial photography, 3D laser scanning technologies and non-destructive testing technologies to record the cultural heritage in the panoramic view and also in the precise details.
Second, persevering the original data in a digital format that can upload to the Could database to remain forever and easy to share. 
Third, the digital record can directly link to the subsequent regular monitoring, management audio navigation, and preventive conservation. 

It is my first post,  please feel free to share your idea and feedback with me !!
THANK YOU FOR READING!



Comments

  1. Yang,
    What an interesting concept. I love exploring, but having read the review tilted, "Stunning, but Difficult" by HKWoody makes me grateful for the alternative, a digital museum. A digital museum via webVR is definitely an option for those who want the life like experience without spending an outrageous amount of money, time (our most valued resource), and saving themselves from the headaches of uncomfortable weather and crowds. Additionally, having lived in the Washington D.C. area for a little over two years, my family and I did not get to see all the museums for almost the same reasons---mainly crowds and time.
    Great post, I am looking forward to more great reads.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thank you for the encouragement. It is true that museum visit can be time-consuming , we don't expect to see all the stuffs in the museum, but in Virtual Museum, you can always go back and enjoy the beautiful artifact.

      -Yang

      Delete
  2. Yang Liu,

    This is a great blog about an interesting topic. I look forward to the future with improved Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. Imagine being able to walk around in the caves, free to explore everything. Thanks for the information.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chunk,

      Thank you for your encouragement! I feel quite enjoying doing this topic, since there are many amazing heritages showing on the Internet. It is a good opportunity for us to explore how the new technology has changed our life.

      Delete
  3. Yang Liu,
    This topic is very interesting, I look forward to reading more of your posts. What I like about this is that we are becoming a more global society, but not everyone has the ability to take part. Some people cannot afford to travel, and some people have disabilities that stop them from traveling. Virtual experiences would give people the sense of traveling and seeing new things, without actually having to go far.
    -Michaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaela,

      Thank you for pointing the great advantage of the virtual museum. Indeed, it is very convenient for people who cannot go to visit these sites in person.

      Delete
  4. Dear Yang,
    I went to visit the Mogao Grottoes last June, and your blog reminded me of my wonderful travel experience.
    The virtual museum is indeed a very novel and valuable experience. It not only protects the historical heritage, but also allows visitors to understand the relevant knowledge. I think this is a good trend. Although the input cost is somewhat high, it is very worthwhile in the long run.

    Jialu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jialu,

      Absolutely, the very beginning the cost is running high, but more and more people can see the value of doing this digitized conservation and interpretation in a long term run.

      Delete
  5. Yang,

    Great idea to combine your two fields. The virtual museum is such a great idea. I do not have the equipment to fully appreciate such a website but I did take a look at the Smithsonian Institutes website and they have Virtual tours, I could not view it in the true virtual mode as you a VR Headset but the site does have a simulated VR mode that is really good. You can move the image side to side and up and down to see everything in the area. It is a very interesting concept and I can definitely see the potential for an educational application. I look forward to reading vore of your posts.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig,

      I am glad to hear that you have tried some other virtual tour. It is totally different experience, isn't it? I wish I could provide the headset for you to explore the amazing site via the link I mentioned in this blog. I will post my second one this week.

      Delete
  6. Yang,
    I spent a great deal of time exploring central and northern Arizona. Although I saw and experienced numerous ancient cultural significant sights, the environmental conditions were generally hazardous to the novice hiker. The vast region of uninhabited desert and mountain terrain in which these cultural sites were found limited the experience to just the most acclimatized hikers.

    Your VR concept could introduce these ancient sites to a much wider population. VR could ensure accessibility to those with disabilities or poor health conditions. Besides, I have been on search and rescue teams looking for lost hikers. VR is much cheaper than a three-day search/rescue/recovery operation.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt,

      Thank you very much for the suggestion! Yes, I am thinking to introduce more ancient site with VR applications that would allow more audience to seeing the cultural heritages. I am thinking to introduce some Chinese heritage sites first, since I am familiar with some of them, and it would be better the western audience can read my post in English.

      Delete

Post a Comment